Summer 2022 we bred all Registered St Croix, Registered Katahdin and Recorded Katahdin ewes to a Registered St Croix Ram so all 2023 lambs will either be potentially Registered St Croix or Commercial Crossbreds which are 50% or greater St Croix. Any out of the Registered Katahdin ewes can be Recorded Katahdin if that paperwork is necessary to your breeding program. All breeding stock will come with a generated pedigree from Ranch Manager based on the animals we have entered into the system. Some adult ewes will also be available later in the Spring as well after weaning has occurred and the ewes have regained condition.
Market stock consists of animals that didn’t make the cut as breeding stock. Most of the time they are lambs, but occasionally the adult ewes may end up with problems that cause them to be unable to be good breeding stock any longer. These are the culls of the flock and ram lambs will be castrated.
Market lambs are weighed and then we decide on a price. We do not sell by the pound. Lambs weigh from 30-70lbs at weaning. Most are between 50-65lbs. Prices are firm.
Here are the averages:
Non-Papered Commercial Breeding Stock
These sheep are commercial breeding quality that don’t not have papers.
- Commercial Lambs (rams or ewes) less than 7 months old are $200 each, more than 7 months old (without being bred) are $225 each.
- Adult Commercial ewes and rams are between $200-$300 depending on age.
Papered Commercial Breeding Stock
These sheep are commercial breeding quality that have Recorded Katahdin Papers for the crossbred Katahdin registry (and in the future if the St Croix crossbred registry gets off the ground). We will handle any paperwork there might be and they will be mailed to you by the Registry.
- Commercial Lambs (rams or ewes) less than 7 months old are $250 each, more than 7 months old (without being bred) are $275 each.
- Adult Commercial ewes and rams are between $250-$350 depending on age
Registered Breeding Stock
These sheep are either Registered with the St Croix Hair Sheep Breeders or Registered with Katahdin Hair Sheep International. paperwork transfers for adults and initial paperwork for lambs will be handled by us and mailed to you from the Registry.
- Registered Lambs (rams or ewes) less than 7 months old are $300 each, more than 7 months old (without being bred) are $325 each.
- Adult Registered ewes and rams are between $300-$400 depending on age.
$100 deposits will be made for breeding stock animals to hold until they are available or if they are not getting picked up right away.
Adult ewes will be available for pickup approximately 1 month after weaning. If anyone wants adult ewes bred, we add a $25 exposure fee and payment must be made in full immediately in lieu of a deposit.